I know, big shocker.
PPAnna is making more soup.
Listen, I like soup, okay?
We're all going to have to accept this.
It's warm and filling without being too many calories or fat. It makes you feel full without having to gorge on crappy ingredients. Its clean carbohydrates will sit well in the stomach pre-run or help with post-workout recovery. That's a big win in my book.
My carrot soup is a super basic, creamy, flavorful, and you could eat the whole pot without much guilt. Really!
I did the math.
The ENTIRE crock pot is:
7g Protein (what did you expect... it's carrots)
27g Fiber (um... have fun with that)
2,000% daily Vitamin A needs
85% daily Vitamin C needs
67% daily Calcium needs
We all know about Vitamin C, but what about Vitamin A?
- Prevents macular degeneration (that's what makes you go blind with aging)
- Supports the immune system (studies show not just colds, but cancer and autoimmune diseases)
- Reduces inflammation to help stave off things like food allergies and Alzheimer's/Parkinson's.
- Increased skin cell growth for moist, smooth, glowing skin! (conversely, acne can be a sign of deficiency)
Alright. I'm done on my soup box (See what I did there?)! Let's cook!
Crock Pot Carrot Soup
- 5 cups carrots (15 large), peeled if not organic, chopped
- 4 cups water + veggie bouillon (or 4c broth)
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, chopped.
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1T thyme
Salt + Pepper
- 1 cup nondairy milk (I used cashew)
Throw everything but the non-dairy milk in the crock pot on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Blend with immersion blender or by scooping cups into regular blender.
Stir in non-dairy milk.
Enjoy. Enjoy the whole dang thing if you want with the excuse that you need more Vitamin A!
Optional adds to mix things up: ginger, coconut milk (if you want more fat), curry powder, red pepper flakes (for a spicy kick), potatoes (for a smoother, creamy texture). You can't really mess the basic recipe up. Play with it and enjoy your amazing skin and eyes!
I topped mine with green onion and North Coast Naturals Raw Hemp Seeds